Monday, January 25, 2010

Ngum Chum: SF vs LA


I've had my fair share of time spent in sunny southern California....and I have to say....it was one of the best times of my life... good food, great weather...and some of my most memorable experiences sprang out of LA. But for me, Los Angeles was more than a great place to live. It gave me an environment to grow and express myself.....all too often a luxury that many people crave but so very few accomplish finding.....and I was lucky enough to snag that chance.
But throughout all those crazy experiences and the many memories I have picked up, I somehow feel San Francisco always creeps back in my head to remind me of just how special my hometown is. It's kind of that Tony Bennett feeling ya know? the...."I left my heart....in San Francisco" mentality.
Right....I get it.. I was FROM there... "no shit you love your city, Art... you grew up there..." born there... grew up there....raised there..... I get it... But you'd be surprised just how many people I ask from LA if you were to choose between the two cities that they would prefer or rather live in SF....... and vice versa... people from SF are down for the Southland.... Maybe there are those who would prefer either city for a short period of time.... a vacation.... a weekend getaway.... or maybe you always want what you can't have... sunshine and tans 24/7 when maybe you just WANT to throw on a scarf and pea coat and stroll the beautiful streets of SF on a chilly night.... a little too much clam chowder at Fisherman's Wharf when all you want everyday is a Pink's hotdog and an ice cream at the Santa Monica Pier.... Dodgers all around you when you are all about the Giants..... dang maybe you just dont have a car....we all know that could change a lot of things...Whatever their steez is, everybody has a reason for why they prefer one over the other. And why are there such defined stereotypes of San Franciscians and Los Angelians? Or are there? Frisko heads are freethinkers and slightly on the eccentric side... while peeps from LA are for the image and the dough...I dont know...maybe, maybe not.
If this applies to you.....fill me in.... tell me where you from... and between the two cities, what are you down for more and why.... City of Angels or the Sucka Free..... whats up??


If this doesnt apply so much.....shit if this turns into west coast / east coast thing too?...by all means..... by all means.... fill me in...

9 comments:

  1. san franciscans v. los angelinos?

    i love la for the cheap grub and more agreeable weather, but i don't plan on moving back anytime soon. haha. guess that says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it a lot has to do with your situation.

    (ex: you moved out for college and you've been partying and stayed ever since, or you moved back home to take care of family)

    I think it's relative, and I believe both LA and SF kicks ass. Just gotta keep your eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that drawing looks like a... on other notes, frisco all the way. but i gotta show love to LA. honestly i love califonia. CALIFORNIA LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. it does look like a johnson doesnt it..... well hey i was up drawing that at 4 in the morning.... well then again.... that doesnt bode well for why i drew that to begin with at 4 in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The longer I stay on either side I yearn for the other. Personally, Saint Francisco harnesses something inside of me that Those Angels have a hard time getting a grip of - and vice versa. In SF I'm definitely more "community-centric" (for society) while in LA, more "self-oriented" (for me, friends and family). A balance of both is critical.

    *P.S. Is that johnson about to get circumcised??? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the metaphoric comparisons of Saint Francisco and the angels with their ability to grab a hold of something in you... definitely shirt design worthy......

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh shit! that wasn't a penis? what the hell is it then?

    ReplyDelete
  8. damnit it's a bullet with a smoke trail behind it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. living in san francisco is like waking up and throwing on a t-shirt everyday... super comfy and unpretentious...

    ReplyDelete